Little elf skittles
Now who doesn’t want to bowl over those cheery little elves? You could vary this project to create gnomes, fairies, farm animals, monsters, your family…whatever!
You will need :
Mitre box and saw
Craft paint in red and black
Paint brushes, medium and small
Rust-Oleum polyurethane spray varnish
White wool scraps
Green and red thread
Pipe cleaners, 2
Glue gun and glue sticks
1. With a hacksaw and mitre box, cut wooden dowel rods to 150mm lengths. Use a piece of sandpaper to sand the bottoms lightly. Check that the rods sand upright or sand accordingly.
2. Wrap masking tape in 20mm increments around each pin and paint red stripes. Remove tape when the paint it just barely dry by pulling straight up. Use a small paintbrush to add faces to each rod and let dry.. Spray with polyurethane varnish.
3. Sew decorative stitching onto edge of felt pieces (ric-rac would be nice). You can make a little pompom by wrapping wool in loops and tying it around itself. Then trim ends and fray them a bit. Lay pompom on right side of felt, fold right sides together and pin in place. Sew along seam with a tiny seam allowance. Reinforce the end with wool. Turn right side out and gently push out the tip.
4. Insert a small piece of pipe cleaner into the top of the hat so it will bend. Adjust all of your hats to the desired position.
5. Put a bead of glue on the top edge of the dowel rod and carefully place the hat. Great gift idea for a little boy, or for having fun during the December school holidays.
source the long thread