Add a touch of gold to your home
We’ve all seen rustic tables made from tree stumps, but these tables are definitely not your usual stumps. Painted in Rust-Oleum Universal metallic - pure gold, now you can repurpose to add a touch of glitz to a living space. In fact, you can use Rust-Oleum Universal metallic spray paint to revamp almost any furniture for your home.
Tree fellers have been busy in my neighbourhood this winter. It seems that trees planted when home were built are now becoming a nuisance or growing too big for gardens. Even I had to cut down a couple of palm trees which were a danger to my roof. I actually had a chat with a couple of the tree fellers and was quite surprised to find that most discard the stumps and offcuts at the local dump. What a waste. I managed to grab a couple of smaller Leopard tree stumps and hope to find a use for these in the future. If you know of someone having a tree cut down arrange to have a stump cut to size.
- Put the stumps in a cool, dry place for a couple of months to let them dry out. After that all you need to do is strip away the bark and do some sanding. Use 80-grit sandpaper to start and work you way up to 180-grit if you want a smooth finish.
- A planer would be the best tool to use if you need to level out the top, after which you can sand and smooth.
- Make sure the stumps are clean before you start spray painting. I normally put down a plastic dropcloth. Place the stumps on a couple of blocks to lift them up and make spraying from top the bottom easier.
- Before spraying apply a coat of Plascon Wood Primer according to the instructions. This helps to seal the surface of the wood and provides a good bond between the wood and paint.
- Use Rust-Oleum Universal metallic in pure gold. Shake the can well and apply a liberal coat of paint over the entire surface. Always let each coat dry before applying another next coat. You shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 coats.
Every home deserves a touch of gold to add drama and glamour to plain rooms. Rust-Oleum Universal metallics are easy to apply and an affordable way to turn plain accessories into luxurious pieces.
Revamp metal furniture by lightly sanding with 180-grit sandpaper before spraying with Rust-Oleum Universal metallic in pure gold.