Make a cute and comfy baby mat
Home-Dzine - Basic sewing skills and some scraps of fabric are all that you need to make a cute and comfy mat for baby to play on. Filled with layers of soft batting, you can use this mat indoors and out. Spray with Rust-Oleum NeverWet fabric spray (to be launched later this month) and you can protect from spills and stains.
To make a petal mat approximately 1.2 metres in diameter:
2.4 metres of cotton fabric (140mm wide) for the centre of the mat
Fabric scraps or bargain offcuts for the surrounding petals
Sewing machine and sewing accessories
1.5 metres of medium-weight batting
Cardboard for template
1. Cut out the shape for the petals on a piece of cardboard and use this to cut the petal shapes from fabric scraps. You will need two pieces for each petal, 26 petals, and each petal should be cut 170mm square. This allows for a 12mm seam allowance around the edge.
2. Use pinking shears to cut out the curved shape for the petal. With fabric faces together use a sewing machine to run a stitch 12mm in from the edge. Leave the straight edge open.
GOOD TO KNOW
If you don't have pinking shears, run a zig-zag stitch around the edge to prevent the fabric from fraying.
3. Turn right side out and fill each petal with scrunched batting until soft and compact.
4. Fill all the petals and stitch the straight edge closed.
5. Cut two pieces of fabric for the centre that are 1200mm in diameter. Take one piece, and with the fabric face down, pin the petals around the edge. You can adjust the spacing of the petals to fit around the circle.
6. Place the second circle over the top (face up) and remove the pins from the petals one by one to secure the top fabric in place.
7. Sew a 12mm seam along the outside of the circles, making sure that the petal shapes remain in place. Leave a 20cm opening in order to turn the fabric right side out. Pad the centre with batting before folding over and closing up.
8. Use colourful embroidery thread to stitch around the perimeter of the circle, approximately 2 to 3 centimetres in from the edge. Repeat this for a smaller circle towards the centre.
Sew easy! Now your little one has a comfy place to play or sit and watch mommy do the housework!