Faux vintage candle holders
Make these candle holders out of a couple of pieces of scrap pine and moulding and then paint using Rust-Oleum spray paint.
I used two different styles of polystyrene moulding and 69 x 69mm pine to make the candle holders. You need to use extruded (hard) polystyrene if you plan on using spray paint for this project. Your local Builders has a varied selection of styles available.
YOU WILL NEED:
Mitre box and backsaw
No More Nails adhesive
Rust-Oleum 2X UltraCover (Heritage White)
Oil or craft paint for distressing
Old paintbrush and rags
1. Cut your pine to length. The moulding is cut at opposing 45-degree angles using a mitre box. Cut enough sections to fit around the top and base of the pine stands.
2. Use No More Nails adhesive to secure the moulding onto the pine stands. Work front and back and let this dry before doing the sides.
3. Don't worry is the sections don't completely fit flush together, this can be filled in with wood filler.
4. Use 120-grit sandpaper to lightly sand away any uneven edges and then apply wood filler to fill any gaps.
5. Let the wood filler dry and then sand smooth.
GOOD TO KNOW:
Don't use sandpaper on the extruded polystyrene as it will remove the surface and spoil the finish.
6. I used Rust-Oleum 2X in heritage white for this project because it's so easy to use, but you can use your paint of choice.
7. Apply 2 to 3 coats to cover entirely, allowing drying time between each coat.
GOOD TO KNOW:
Be sure to put down newspaper to protect from over spray.
To give the candle holders an aged look you can use burnt umber oil paint or craft paint - either one works well. I used the oil paint because I already had some and I like the finished effect.
Apply the paint with a brush to nooks and crannies and then wipe away while still wet. You can re-apply if you are looking for more effect than that shown here.
This really was a simple project that anyone can do, and the finished result is two faux vintage candle holders that are perfect for a centrepiece, on a mantel shelf, or for a special occasion.