Make your own serving trays
These simple wooden serving trays with handles have a relief design that you can customise to make your own beautiful trays for parties and celebrations.
4 pieces of board or wood (have cut to the size you want)
Acrylic craft paint in the colour of your choice
Texture paste (we used Dala )
Plastic spoon on applicator
Stencil (craft and hobby shops and stores that stock baking supplies usually have a good selection)
Handles and screws
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
1. Sand your wooden trays smooth to prepare for painting and to ensure easier application. Wipe clean to remove all traces of dust.
2. Apply at least two coats of paint to the front, back and sides of each tray to ensure an even colour. Let each coat of paint dry before applying the next coat.
3. Once the paint is dry you can drill holes to attach the handles. Screw the handles firmly onto the tray.
4. Mix the texture paste and add coloured acrylic if you wish to tint to a specific colour.
5. After deciding where to place the design on your tray, hold the stencil in position and apply the coloured texture paste modestly with a plastic spoon or applicator.
6. After completely covering the stencil with texture paste, carefully lift the stencil from the tray in one go; work very quickly to prevent smudging. Allow the paste to dry completely.
GOOD TO KNOW:
Tip: If you wish to place food directly onto the tray, seal its surface with a couple of layers of Mod Podge.