Decorate with glass stain
You can use glass stain to dress up inexpensive glassware or recycle glass food jars into colourful containers.
YOU WILL NEED:
- A glass or piece to paint
- Permanent marker
- Glass stain - black and colours
- Artist's paintbrushes, extra-fine and medium
- Paint palette (if mixing colours)
- Cotton buds
- Rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner
Before you begin it helps to have a clear idea in mind of the design you want on your glass piece.
1. Clean the glass with rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner to remove any fingerprints or grease.
2. Use a marker pen to draw the design onto your glass piece and then go over this with black stain. Allow this to dry before proceeding.
3. Glass stain is translucent and no more than a single coat should be required. You can add a second, thin layer of paint for more intense colour, but too many coats and the paint will peel off. If you want less colour, add a small amount of acetone (nail polish remover) to thin the colour.
You can hand wash glass painted with glass stain, but do not machine wash. Glass stain is used for decoration only.
You can use glass stain to transform food jars into colourful candle holders to hang indoors or outdoors. Add detail with gold liquid lead liner, wrap wire around the top of the jar and hang!