Roasted tomato soup
The secret to this soup is to slowly roast the tomatoes. While roasting, the tomatoes become wonderfully sweet and make the perfect soup. During the summertime, this soup is also delicious served cold.
15 tomatoes, quartered
2 tsp dried oregano
2 small onions, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup to 1 cup chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Mini mozarella balls
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the quartered tomatoes and diced onions in a bowl. Drizzle with 3 tbsp of olive oil, the dried oregano, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to a wax paper-lined baking sheet and spread out to create an even layer of tomatoes. If there are too many tomatoes to create one layer, use two baking sheets.
2. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and fragrant. Set aside.
3. Bring 1 cup of chicken stock to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Set aside.
4. Add the tomatoes to a food processor and add 1/2 of the chicken broth. Pulse until smooth. Add the tomato paste and pulse again. Add up to 1/2 cup of chicken broth for a thinner consistency.
5. Serve immediately and garnish with a few mozarella balls and fresh basil.