6 slices of bacon cut into 2 cm strips
5 large potatoes (shop for boiling potatoes)
Seasoning to taste
1 cup sour cream
1 stick unsalted butter
4 leeks, sliced
¾ cup shredded mature cheddar
1. Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat in a frying pan until crisp.
2. Transfer bacon to paper towelling to drain and set aside.
3. Peel, rinse, and cut the potatoes into thirds. Place them in a large pot with water to cover, add seasoning and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very soft - about 45 minutes. Drain the potatoes, discarding the water, and return them to the pot.
5. Mash potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. Add the sour cream and butter and stir until melted. Add the milk and seasoning and bring the soup back to a simmer.
Divide among 8 bowls and serve the soup hot, garnished with scallions, cheese, and bacon.