The very essence of a summer presented on a plate. Melt-in-the-mouth shortcake with whipped cream and sweet strawberries – bliss.
Butter 225g, softened
Caster sugar 110g
Plain Flour 300g
Ground Almonds 50g
Small strawberries 225g
Whipping Cream 300ml
All Gold Strawberry jam 2 tbsp.
Caster Sugar for dusting
- Firstly make the shortcakes. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then mix in the flour, salt and ground almonds until the mixture clings together to form a dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Lightly press and roll the dough to flatten it to a thickness of 6mm and, using a 7.5cm round cutter, stamp out as many shapes as you can. Re-roll the dough and continue stamping out shapes until all the dough is used up. You should end up with about 20 circles.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place the shortcake circles on the sheet. Prick with a fork and chill for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake the shortcake biscuits for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- To finish, wash the strawberries and hull and slice them. Whisk the cream into soft peaks, and then spoon onto half the shortcake biscuits. Top with a few strawberry slices and drizzle of jam. Add a small dollop of cream and then sandwich a plain shortcake on top. Dust very lightly with sugar and serve immediately.