Banana and Peanut Loaf
Add protein, vitamins, monounsaturated fat and flavour to your banana bread, with one secret ingredient ... peanut butter! It’s a good source of fibre, too.
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup or 240 g)
- ½ cup (125 g) natural peanut butter
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ cups (225 g) wholemeal flour
- ½ cup (50 g) rolled oats, finely ground in a blender
- ¼ cup (55 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground linseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly coat a loaf tin, measuring about 23 x 13 x 7 cm, with the cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the bananas, peanut butter, eggs and oil. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar, linseeds, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the banana mixture and stir just until moistened. Place batter in the tin.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and allow to cool completely.